Registered Dance/Movement Therapist -- Other Dance/Movement Therapy Program and Alternate Route Students
- Please read the R-DMT Applicant Handbook.
- Alternate Route students must notify the DMTCB when they begin taking dance/movement therapy courses, and state that they have reviewed the requirements in the Applicant Handbook.
- Other Dance/Movement Therapy Program and Alternate Route students must complete specific required coursework prior to starting internship.
Board Certified Dance/Movement Therapist Applicants
Please be advised to access the BC-DMT Handbook
and note that if you intend to use private practice hours as a part of the requirement, you must send a letter of intent to the DMTCB.
International Applicants for R-DMT or BC-DMT
Please note that equivalency of education must be demonstrated. Please use an equivalency organization such as World Education Services (www.wes.org
) or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (www.ece.org
All application procedures and requirements apply to international applicants and all application materials must be submitted in English.
I. DMTCB procedures for communicating and documenting revisions to requirements
- A. When there is a revision to the requirements for the R-DMT or BC-DMT Application, the revised requirements will be posted on the DMTCB section of the ADTA website. The changes will go into effect on the date the information is posted on the website, unless otherwise noted. The DMTCB will send an email notification to check the website for revisions as they occur. This notification will also be posted to other sources of information and communication.
- B. The R-DMT and BC-DMT Applications and Handbooks will be up-dated as revisions to requirements occur. The up-dated versions will be posted on the DMTCB section of the ADTA website.
II. R-DMT Application Information for Alternate Route Applicants: Letter of Intent
Note: Prior to beginning Alternate Route coursework and training, a prospective student must submit a "Letter of Intent" o the DMTCB stating the date of the student's first DMT class.
- A. Alternate Route Letter of Intent: Page 4 of the current R-DMT Handbook states the following:
The Letter of Intent functions as notification that an individual has begun graduate level coursework in Dance/Movement Therapy. Upon submitting the Letter of Intent the student establishes a record of the requirements that are in place at the time they began DMT study. Because the Alternate Route path toward R-DMT can take several years and requirements may change, this process allows DMT students to use the requirements that were in place when they began. The DMTCB recommends that students download the R-DMT Handbook and Application to their files when they submit the Letter of Intent. DMT applicants are responsible for maintaining these documents in their files, as the DMTCB will not be able to go back and provide the applicant with past handbooks or applications.
When applying for the R-DMT, an applicant is not required to use the requirements that were in place when they submitted their Letter of Intent. They may use the requirements that were in place when DMT study began as designated by the Letter of Intent, or use the requirements that are in place during the year of application.
III. R-DMT Course Requirement Revision Alternate Route and Other Program:
Revision to the Kinesiology or Human Anatomy/Kinesiology, or Biomechanics Requirement.
The DMTCB has revised the requirement as follows:
Kinesiology or Human Anatomy/Kinesiology, or Biomechanics
This course may be taken on the graduate or undergraduate level or its equivalent determined by course syllabus. It must include kinesiology or biomechanics; anatomy by itself is not sufficient.
IV. BC-DMT Handbook
The BC-DMT Handbook has been updated on page 6, in the section describing supervision requirements. The following is the accurate requirement for observed dance/movement therapy supervision.
- · At least one supervisor must have observed not less than two (2) dance/ movement therapy sessions, conducted by the applicant (in person or on video).